There’s a lot of talk today about organic and all-natural products. Organic foods and clean eating are often the first things people think of when going all-natural, but there are plenty of other natural products on the market today.
Clothing, household cleaners, and beauty products are other areas where making the switch to natural can reap amazing benefits to your health and well-being.
You might not think that switching to natural cosmetic products can have much of an impact, but when it comes to the good health of your body, they really can make a difference.
Are bad chemicals lurking in your beauty products?
Anything that you apply to your skin can get absorbed into the deeper layers and into your bloodstream. This is troublesome when you consider that there are several ingredients that can can cause skin irritation or major problems with the endocrine (hormone) system. Start reading labels and check for these ingredients that should be avoided:
- Propylene glycol – the same ingredient in anti-freeze, is used to keep cosmetics soft at room temperatures
- Formaldehyde – a preservative, added so that cosmetics can sit in storage for years, increasing profits for manufacturers
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) – inexpensive foaming agents often used in soaps and even toothpaste
- Triloscan – a synthetically produced anti-microbial
- Phthalates – commonly used solvent in fragrances
- Synthetic colors and fragrances – usually the main cause of irritation and allergic reactions. Sensitivities can build up due to repeated exposure
All-natural cosmetic products are free from these additives and other ingredients that can cause skin irritation and put the body at risk from other complications. The best reason to use pure, natural ingredients is for the safety of your body, brain, and blood.
Healthy living means more than just hitting the gym and eating clean. It means avoiding synthetic products and using those that are kinder to you and to the planet. Botanical and natural beauty products are another step along the path to living well and being healthier.