“Trend-wise, the average guest today is open to the playfulness of fun shades, but she doesn’t want to be known as the ‘purple hair mom,’” says Colin Caruso, Artistic Director of Paul Mitchell Professional Hair Color. “This muted metallic hair color lets guests play with fun color. Add muted metallics into their current color to give them diffused, peeks of color. It’s also a great add-on to a color service and it keeps them coming back, because they feel heard.”
Here’s how Colin created Lavender Steel.
Pre-lighten: 2 packets Paul Mitchell Blue Powder Activator + 1 oz. Blue Oil Booster + 2 oz. 10-volume Paul Mitchell Cream Developer.
Tone: 2 oz. Paul Mitchell The Demi Lavender + 2 oz. Paul Mitchell Processing Liquid
- Apply the pre-lightening formula to new growth for retouch application. Lift to Level 10 and remove.
- Create a halo section at the top of the head, beginning at the fringe and extending down to the occipital bone. Clip to secure. This will be Segment 1. All remaining hair will be Segment 2
- Begin applying the toning formula in the fringe of Segment 2.
- Continue moving through Segment 2, directing the hair away from the face and applying the Lavender formula until all hair is saturated.
- Move to Segment 1. Apply the Lavender toner to the base of the entire section. Lightly apply Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist where the Lavender formula and the midshaft meet. Use a comb or your fingers to blend the color into the strands. Process 10 minutes.
- Once the based has processed, apply the Lavender formula through midshafts and ends. Process an additional 10 minutes.
To maintain this tone at home, combine 20 pumps Paul Mitchell Color Craft Misty Violet into a jar of Custom Color Treatment and advise the client to apply the mixture once or twice a week, processing 2-3 minutes.